Seaweed pinch pot

Seaweed pinch pot

Thursday, 30 October 2014

pod vases and she-oak drawing

Among the various beakers, mugs and bowls that have been making their way off my wheel and through the kiln recently there have also been some vases of various sizes which I've been having fun with. 

With some I've been exploring the effect of vertical striations on a full, rounded bulb shape... hoping to evoke a ready-to-pop seedpod by pushing grooves into the inside surface while the clay is still wet. 

pod vase
With others I've been exploring 'drawing' with she-oak foliage... rolling the vessel onto she-oak needles when leather hard. I really like the gestural marks this leaves behind on the clay surface and have been trying to accentuate them using iron oxide.
vase with she oak drawing and iron oxide
For a look inside the studio, here are a couple of process pictures from my Instagram postings... you can find me on instagram at @riverwife_studio



No comments:

Post a Comment