Seaweed pinch pot

Seaweed pinch pot

Wednesday, 16 October 2013

pinch pots - series 2 (mostly shoreline inspired)

Some images of my latest series of finished pinch pots!



A friend generously lent me her good camera and gave me a bit of a photography lesson - hence the vast improvement in images from my usual iphone snaps! 

I have a market stall at the Made 'n Thornbury craft market this Friday evening, so have been pretty focussed on getting work glazed and finished in recent weeks. It's my second market stall, and I still feel a bit mixed about the selling process - especially with the pinch pots, which I get really attached to, but one good thing that must be said for committing to having a stall is that at least I get some work finished! Otherwise my bisque shelf gets overloaded and glazing becomes really daunting! Also on the plus side, it's really nice to get feedback on what I'm doing. This stall will be such a mixed bag of experimental works that it'll be really interesting to see what people like. 

Speaking of glazing, I did a glazing workshop last weekend with Phil Elson at Northcote Pottery. It was so great to see how a really slick glazer with a very refined, precise aesthetic (no rustic dribbles and surface imperfections there!) goes about his glazing. I also picked up some great tips on base glazes and testing, and resolved to start to approach glazing in a much more organised way. Really. 

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous. What sort of clay are you using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Georgia. I mostly use Clayworks JB3 (porcelainous stoneware). I've used some other stoneware clays too, and I don't separate my clays when I recycle, so I end up with a variable mixed stoneware clay (I think that's what I must have used for the two uncarved pots shown here that have a rougher, greyer surface). The JB3 has a lovely smooth finish when lightly burnished.

      Delete
  2. I can see how it would be difficult to part with those. They look like they have a tiny piece of their maker in each one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline. Happily they remain with me for now - I sold much else at market but not these. (Possibly my pricing reflected my attachment!)

      Delete