a) clear statin isn't really all that clear when put over iron oxide slip ... it's kind of milky and dulls the surface a lot
b) when a little iron oxide is mixed into a clear satin base there is sometimes an interesting opaque rusty sort of effect, but otherwise the colour is fairly dull semi transparent beige
c) weirdly, iron oxide mixed into white satin glaze changes it from opaque to transparent and from satin finish to high gloss! oh, the joys and mysteries of chemistry...
Actually, what I did probably doesn't count as a true glaze tests because I didn't even record percentage of iron oxide (would you even believe I'm trained in science!!). So findings b and c are pretty vague - just random experimentation really.
Before I even gained the above revelations, impatient to get some finished pieces on my shelf, I gambled on a few pots. I went with what I thought were safe glazing options. I got some ok results - like these two, which have a yellowish transparent glaze.
Sadly my gamble didn't pay off with some other works though - I think I ruined a few. I know. I should test. Evidently it is with good reason that those who actually know about glazing always go on about testing.
Speaking of testing - I tried mixing a couple of glazes from raw ingredients for the first time this week. I'm motivated partly by budget and partly because I want to understand glaze better. Truth is I find glazing daunting and my lack of experience in this area has meant quite a few disappointments when picking up my fired work. Can't yet tell you how my debut glaze making went as my test aren't back from firing. Bit nervous....
Looking forward to getting back to making in my clay time next week. Thought I'd finish with an image of lovely winter oak branches I was hanging out under with the kids last week, as I just love these. One day I'll do a huge pot with winter branches stretching over it's surface.