Seaweed pinch pot

Seaweed pinch pot

Saturday, 13 July 2013

preparing for market

I recently did a course run by the Thornbury Women's Neighbourhood House called "Make Craft Your Business". I figured that if I keep up the making (which I intend to do!) I will eventually need to start selling. Of course this would also help with replenishing my materials fund, which is pretty much empty. The course was great - very supportive and lots of practical advice for how and where to start selling, including photographing work and setting up a facebook page and blog (yes indeed it was this course that gave me the nudge to get this blog going). The same neighboorhood house holds a craft market about every second month, and the course participants are very much encouraged to have a stall there - the encouragement worked and I will be among them, in ONLY ONE WEEK!! The market is called Made 'n Thornbury, and it'll be be on in the hall at 99 Leinster Grove Thornbury next Sat (20th July) from 10am - 2pm. You can find out more about it on the market blog, or their facebook page.

Whilst I'm excited and looking forward to this new experience of bringing my work to a market, it's been a big pressure hanging over my clay time in the past two weeks - will I have enough work finished? will I manage to get my latest stuff successfully glazed? This has been a whole new game for me. I've had a fear of market stalls since my highly entrepreneurial sister used to drag me along as a co-stall-holder to sell all sorts of strange craft creations when I was about 9 years old. This is my big chance to overcome that fear!

So, I've been a bit all-a-fluster with finishing off this and that and even trying to get some new work through the two firings in time for market (not sure if they'll make it yet... more trips to firing service this week...). The glaze quest continues and I've decided to shift my goalposts a bit in the hope of getting some of my stencilled work to market day. For now, I would be very happy with just a clear glaze on the stencilled work (eventually something more complex will evolve, but not in the next week). Good news though - my self-made clear glaze achieved a great clear result!! Credit goes to this Australian website, where I found the recipe.  I mixed up another batch today so that I had a good quantity for dipping, and also mixed up some more of an adapted version of the recipe - I was aiming for white but I got cream, which I was happy enough with. Here's a picture of the glaze ingredients all measured out ready for mixing.

Although I've been a reluctant glazer (often seeing it as a distraction from my making time) I must admit that mixing my own has started to draw me in - it feels like alchemy when you put in the simple raw mineral ingredients and create something totally new.



4 comments:

  1. Hey Nina !!
    All the best for your market next week, the work looks beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the glaze recipe website, that's a handy resource. Good luck with the market! And by the way, did you see this blog post about newspaper resists: http://www.benthampottery.com/newspaper-resist/? It's got a great outline of their process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Georgia. Yes, that glaze website seems a great resource - I felt lucky to find that one via google. And thanks for the newspaper resist link - I just had a quick look and it's interesting to see some of the very different pieces made with this method. And I always learn something new from looking at someone else's process!

      Delete