Sunday, 23 June 2013
By the end of summer this year I was settling into a nice pattern of making pinch pots. I was enjoying the methodical process of pinching out a little family of pots - spending a little time with them each day over several days. I started engraving patterns on these as they reached leather-hard stage. Others I burnished or scraped. I stockpiled quite a few before taking them in for firing - I really became quite attached to them just as they were! After having them sitting on my shelf for quite some time I finally found a surface treatment I was happy with - I've been painting on black iron oxide and then rubbing it back to bring out the relief design (or the burnishing marks in the case of the pot on the left in the above shot). I've used stain and clear or white satin glaze mixtures to glaze the interiors.